What is Infrared Thermography ?
What is Infrared Thermography?
Infrared Thermography is a detection procedure that converts invisible heat energy (radiation) into a visible picture (thermogram). Our highly trained technicians use infrared thermography to reveal defects or problems in electrical systems or mechanical equipment, or in any process that uses or produces energy. Advance notice of developing problems enables you to perform the necessary adjustments or repairs before costly, sometimes catastrophic failures occur. Considering the high cost of electrical and mechanical failures, Infrared Thermography can mean substantial savings. And because thermographic scans are performed while your equipment is in operation, there is no lost production or machine downtime.
Infrared Thermography helps identify the following problems:
- Unbalanced or overloaded circuits
- Improper grounding
- Bearing and coupling wear
- Faulty electrical contacts or connections
- Malfunctioning steam traps
- Refractory deterioration
- Building insulation and roof membrane leaks
Infrared Thermography Features:
- High-resolution infrared cameras for quick and easy shooting
- Digital images for better device recognition
- Latest software imaging tools to determine the exact cause of the radiated heat so you can make the correct repairs
- Final report with straightforward analysis and recommendations, full-color thermal images and photographs of all problems
Benefits of Infrared Thermography:
- Reduction of production losses due to unplanned downtime
- Reduced maintenance and repair costs
- Increased equipment life
- Increased Mean-Time-Between-Failures (MTBF)
- Increased productivity and profitability
- Reduced insurance premiums
Applications of Infrared Thermography
Everything, (all objects) around us in the world with a temperature above absolute zero (-273.15oC) emit some form of radiant thermal energy we see as a temperature pattern with a thermal infrared camera. Our thermographers are expert thermal evaluators and imaging experts, which have extensive training and will have a solid understanding of heat transfer laws, thermal dynamics and properties of why objects are hot or not or appear to be hot or not. Our thermographers use high resolution, state of the art thermal Infrared Cameras and have extensive knowledge of the subjects they look at in combination with other non-destructive testing tools to evaluate the condition, (good or bad) of any object. Included in our services are comprehensive reports and detailed analysis. Thermography is evolving daily into new and specialized applications. We can accommodate any thermographic applications you may have.
Infrared Thermography Applications:
- Electrical inspections in buildings, plants, facilities, refineries.
- Thermal heat loss inspections for buildings, plants, facilities, refineries.
- Moisture contamination evaluations in buildings, condo’s, plants facilities
- Concrete integrity inspections
- Concrete Water Heated floor inspections for leaks and temperature distribution
- Flat roof leak detection for buildings, plants, facilities\
- Power generation generator inspections.
- Power Plant boiler flue gas leak detection
- Substation Electrical inspections, transformers and capacitor evaluation
- Over head urban and rural distribution electrical inspections
- Electrical motor inspections, mechanical bearing inspections
- Heat ventilation air conditioning equipment evaluation
- Cold Storage cooling losses.
- Refinery process line insulation loss or leak detection
- Refinery process evaluation
- Heat exchanger Quality and efficiency evaluation
- Furnace refractory (insulation) inspections
- Furnace Internal flame evaluation and tube inspections
- Flame propagation explosion analysis
- Research and development applications
- Design proto-typing evaluation
- Motor racing suspension and tire contact diagnostics
- Brake and engine systems evaluation for performance and cooling efficiencies
- Printed circuit board (PCB) evaluation and trouble shooting
- Medical injury examinations for whiplash, back injuries, Carpal Tunnel
- Diseases evaluation, breast cancer, arthritis and many more
- Dentistry, tempromandibular jaw dysfunction and more
- Sports injuries and evaluation, and therapy progress
- Equine (horse) injury examination, stress fractures, lameness
Airborne Infrared Thermography Applications:
- Pipeline inspection, leak detection, stress corrosion cracking area
- Environmental inspections, pollution dumping, thermal dumping of waste water
- FireMapping, hold over fires, fire-line and mop-up inspections
- High Voltage Aerial Electrical inspections for transmission lines
- Search and rescue
- Covert surveillance
Advantages of hiring our thermographers:
- Quick problem detection without interrupting service
- Prevention of premature failure and extension of equipment life
- Identification of potentially dangerous or hazardous equipment
- Reduction in insurance premiums
- Effective infrared scanning in order to save revenue and prevent down-time
Everyday Use of Infrared Thermography
To ensure the integrity of electrical installations for reduced down time, fire and safety, or insurance company compliance, we highly recommend to perform Thermal inspections of electrical installations to find over heating in connections and components, or faulty components.
Thermal Inspections of motors, pumps, fans, bearings, compressors, heating elements, humidifiers etc. can be analyzed for faults and decrease in efficiency. Fatigue and stress concentration in components can be detected and verified.
Buildings and Processing Equipment
Internal properties in walls and pipes such as building and cool room/oven insulation and furnace refractory breakdown and efficiency, scale build up, fluid build up in composite structures etc. can be determined.
Environmental and Surveillance
Thermography can be used to determine sites of burst gas and water pipes, hot spots in bush fires, waste water spread, biological diversity and pest/fungus spread in plantations, and it is widely used for night surveillance.
Thermography has been used for medical diagnosis on race horses and athletes to help determine location of strains and fractures. It is also widely used in the medical area for skin, burns and circulatory diagnosis and test of blood circulation in open heart surgery
Our Thermographers have the ability to detect hot spots that might be overlooked by visual inspections. Recently, in a U.S factory, staff quickly interrupted the power supply to an above ground trailer when an infrared inspection detected a hot spot registering 123 degrees over the baseline ambient temperature. A fire could have started, resulting in the probable loss of valuable records and equipment, had the problem not been uncovered We offer expert professional thermography services and comprehensive reports. Our services include the use of state of the art high resolution thermal infrared imaging equipment and detailed software suites. We will travel to our clients location. We can assist you with all thermal imaging needs. Please contact us for ANY general or specialized application you may have.